Before COVID, theme parks in South Korea were having amazing years. However, 2020 has been brutal and many of these theme parks are struggling to stay open. While they are all still open, attendance is at a record low. Hopefully, things will start to pick back up once winter hits. The reason for this is that many of the top theme parks in South Korea have spectacular winter festivals that need to be experienced for those traveling to Korea in the winter. Therefore, once COVID gets under control, go visit these theme parks and have a great experience. Hopefully, these Winter Festivals will reopen in 2021 as we are only a few months away!
Winter Festivals at Theme Parks in South Korea
The Everland Christmas Fantasy Festival
Everland is a bit of a drive from Seoul but offers very fun rides, parades, shows, and even their own zoo! In addition, if you can make it here when it snows, the Christmas Fantasy Festival will be an even better experience. It typically runs for almost two months. Once in the park, there will be a 500-meter-long Christmas Avenue that will have the Romantic Illumination LED lights. It is said it takes over 120,000 LED lights to light up the festival. Make sure to check out the 26-meter tall romantic tower tree which can be seen both inside and outside the park.
- Event period: Romantic Illumination November 12, 2021 – March 1, 2022 / Christmas Fantasy November 24, 2021 – December 31, 2022
- Venue: 199, Everland-ro, Pogok-eup, Cheoin-gu, Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-do
- Directions: Jeondae∙Everland Station (Yongin Everline), Exit 4. Walk for about 2-min to the shuttle bus station.
- Inquiries: +82-31-320-5000 (Korean, English, Chinese)
- Website: www.everland.com (Korean, English, Chinese)
Lotte World Christmas Miracle
This is the biggest indoor amusement park in the world. They have an outdoor connection called Magic Island where most of the thrill rides are located. Moreover, it is located in Seoul and only a few minutes taxi ride from Gangnam. Every Christmas they hold the Christmas Miracle against the backdrop of Lotte World Adventure. It is redone into a more Christmas atmosphere. There will be Christmas decorations, parades, carols, and even Santa Claus.
- The event period: November 12, 2021 – December 31, 2021
- Venue: 240, Olympic-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul
- Directions: Jamsil Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 4. Walk for about 5-min.
- Inquiries: +82-2-1661-2000 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- Website: global.lotteworld.com (Korean, English)
Seoulland Christmas Festival
Similar to Everland, Seoulland is a combination of an amusement park and a zoo. However, just like Everland, it is a bit outside of Seoul and will take you around 30-40 minutes to get there. They have a special Christmas Festival called “Santa Run” which includes special performances and gift donations. The “Santa Run” is for fathers looking to win prizes for their children. Make sure you stay for the Light Fantasy Show at the end of the day.
- Event period: November 17, 2021 – December 25, 2021
- Venue: 181, Gwangmyeong-ro, Gwacheon-si, Gyeonggi-do
- Directions: Grand Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 2. Walk for about 10-min to the Seoul Grand Park Plaza and take the elephant train. Get off at Seoulland Bus Stop. (separate fees applicable for elephant train)
- Website: eng.seoulland.co.kr (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)